BACKGROUND OF COSDEC TUKURENU, RUNDU
COSDEC Tukurenu is a demand driven Training Centre situated in Rundu, Kavango East. COSDEC Tukurenu has been operating since 1999, providing vocational skills training to out-of-school youth and previously disadvantaged Namibians to improve their livelihoods. Our vision is to establish equal opportunities for all Namibians through job empowerment with practical, employable, entrepreneurial and life skills training. COSDEC Tukurenu offers structured courses with job attachments and a variety of short community outreach courses according to the needs of the community. After completing the course, trainees will have acquired the skills of that trade, as well as entrepreneurial skills to allow them to start their own business for those with entrepreneurial ambitions.
- Business Services (Office Administration and Computing)
- Hospitality and Tourism (L3)
- Joinery and Cabinet Making
- Plumbing and Pipe Fitting
- Welding and Metal Fabrication
- Bricklaying and Plastering
- Clothing Design and Textile Production
(Level 1 and 2)
- Maintenance and Renovation
- Entrepreneurship Skills
- Bead Work
- Basket Weaving
- Sheet Metal
- Jam Making
- Radiator Repair
- Domestic Employee
- Roof Thatching
- Driving School
- Block and Brick Making
- Pattern Making
The Business Development Support Centre (BDSC)
The Centre has 4 SME incubation units, which are given to entrepreneurs for a period of one year, to help them start or grow their small business and they are being provided with business mentorship, trainings and other support services. Under the (BDSC) the centre does external projects related to all the trades to increase the income of the centre. The BDSC give business training, coaching and mentoring to the community and everyone who is interested.
Our mission is to offer demand driven skills training and support to out of school youth in the most cost effective manner with dignity, professionalism, and integrity.
This is achieved by:
- Providing sustainable training with motivated and inspired staff.
- Conducting regular studies to determine the viability and effectiveness of the training provided.
- Establishing links with industry to broaden employment opportunities.
Our graduates then become either formal- or self-employed and can gain access to more advanced training at Vocational Training Centres (VTCs) or other
The expectation is that once these trained youth, and others, are equipped with relevant skills they will be more equipped to find income earning opportunities, compete in the local job market or engage in entrepreneurial income generating activities.
- COSDEC Tukurenu was one of the four centres to open around the country in 1999. Since then, we have expanded and changed our course offerings, responding to the skills needs of the community and region over time. From just one course when the centre began, we now offer 8 structured courses, as well as short courses. The Millennium Challenge Account – Namibia, recognized the valuable service that COSDEC Tukurenu and the other centres were providing, and constructed and/or upgraded the COSDECs around the country, including COSDEC Tukurenu.
- There is a Business Development Centre to support local SME’s, micro enterprises and potential entrepreneurs. The BD Centre offers training in entrepreneurship, bookkeeping, costing and pricing, marketing and other key business skills. The courses are not only offered at the centre, but also conduct rural outreach programming to bring these business skills to community members in villages in Kavango East and West as well as tailor made courses according to the needs of the community. COSDEC Tukurenu also manages a driving school that generates income for the centre. COSDEC graduates in these high-demand trades will be able to find good-paying jobs or start their own small businesses as the housing industry in Namibia is growing quickly.
- COSDEC Tukurenu has been Accredited by NQA and is registered with NTA.
- Expand the number of students we serve in our current structured courses by building additional workshops in different trades.
- Build a hostel to accommodate students who do not live in Rundu.
- Effectively implement the incubation program and assist COSDEC graduates with starting and operating a business.
- Implement a career centre, to ensure graduates have job placement assistance, as well as interview skills and professional resumes.
Constituency: Rundu Urban
Region: Kavango East
Population of Rundu: 63,431 (2011 Census)
Target Region: Rundu Town and all Constituencies in the region