BACKGROUND OF COSDEC BENGUELA, LÜDERITZ
The vision of COSDEC Benguela is to “provide focused, practical skills training that incorporate business skills, entrepreneurship and life skills” and to “relate the training programs to opportunities in the local economy in terms of demand for goods and services.”
The main aim is to assist young people find employment in the local economy either in the formal or informal sector. The training provided at the centre is competency-based and the courses focus on the basic skills that an employer expects of an entry level worker.
COSDEC Benguela-COSDEC was established in 2009 and aiming to target and market courses to the unemployed youth and women. Yearly enrolment capacity is approximately 135 trainees.
- Hospitality and Tourism (L3)
- Business Services (Office Administration and Computing)
- Plumbing and Pipefitting
- Welding and Fabrication
(Level 1 and 2)
(1 week to 3 Months)
- Leather patch
- Building and Maintenance
The SME Support main objective is to provide business training courses and counselling to small business owners and entrepreneurs. At this moment we have started a mentoring and coaching programme with Peace Corp Volunteer and women with talent in the following areas: Knitting, Crochet, jewellery making, leather patching and handbags repairs, results would be for them to become self-sustainable.
So far, COSDEC, Benguela has partnered with other organizations to sponsor the following events in 2015:
- With Change Is Coming Org. and the Ministry of Youth, Culture, Sports and National Service to hold the Buchter Boom Expo 2015, a day of lectures, music and food for youth to broaden their knowledge of jobs available and to allow them to talk to people who have successfully found gainful employment through training and perseverance.
- With Have-A-Heart Foundation and the Luderitz SPCA, to sponsor youth to work with veterinarians. The youth were identified from a survey conducted at the Buchter Boom Expo 2015 and the ones who participated expressed an interest in working either as a vet or with animals. COSDEC contacted them and arranged transport and time slots for them to observe and talk with the vets who came from Swakopmund to Luderitz in order to spay and neuter animals.
- Have-A-Heart Foundation to employ local unemployed youth in a paid position to build doghouses for location dogs.
Population of Lüderitz: 12,537 (2011 Census)
Target Region: Lüderitz